Sunday 26 January 2014

'My Family Were Burned in Auschwitz – Now It’s Time for Kaddish'



More than half of the Knesset will visit the Auschwitz-Birkenau Holocaust death camp this week in a historic delegation. The Knesset will hold a session at the site where an estimated 1.1 million people were murdered in honor of International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Among those visiting will be MK Eliezer Moses (UTJ), who until now has avoided visiting Auschwitz, the place where dozens of members of his family were murdered.

MK Moses explained why he plans to visit now, after so many years, in a conversation with Johnny Daniels of the Mimaamakim organization, which coordinated the visit.

“Auschwitz, Treblinka and Majdanek – that’s where 70 people from my family were killed, were burned and murdered because, and only because, they were Jews. No other reason,” Moses began.

MK Eliezer Moses to make first visit to Holocaust death camp where 70 of his relatives died.

“My grandfather and grandmother, siblings-in-law, aunts and uncles were burned in Auschwitz, and the whole other side, my mother’s family, were murdered in Treblinka. My mother’s sister had five children and they were all murdered in Treblinka,” he continued.

“I wanted to get to know the young man who’s taking the whole Knesset to Auschwitz,” he told Daniels. “I had many opportunities to go, but I just couldn’t.”

“Just yesterday I said that I cannot handle going to Auschwitz,” he added. “But then I decided to go, because a year and a half ago I represented the state of Israel at Majdanek as the Deputy Education Minister, and I saw how important it was to be in that place and to say Kaddish [a prayer for the dead – ed.] the way we say it in my family.”

Daniels told Moses that he is happy he will be taking part in the delegation. Daniels noted that his wife, too, lost many relatives in Auschwitz.

“I signed a contract with the management at Auschwitz on the table in the conference room where the heads of the Nazi movement once sat, and I signed a contract to bring the Israeli Knesset – that’s our power,” he concluded.

see also:


No comments:

Post a Comment